Sunday, January 9, 2011
Day 148: London, Music, and Nostalgia for Budapest
The whole Stanford in Oxford crew took a trip to central London today. We got a two-hour tour of Westminster Abbey, walked for an hour around London towards the National Gallery, had a lunch break, and then we split off into three groups. I chose the walking tour with the director of the program, and it was lovely. It was a gorgeous day out and it was really nice to go around and see the picturesque St. Johns Park and stroll through Piccadilly and Convent Square and other surround places. When I got back to Oxford, I didn't feel much like working, so I chatted to a friend, and listened to music. (My flatmate last term gave me a bunch of music from her iPod and I'm only just now going through it. Currently listening to: Camera Obscura. They're lovely.) I made dinner, then did a puzzle with a friend, had some interesting conversations, returned to my room, and then proceeded to not do work until, well, now. So I've had a thoroughly unproductive day. And also: I miss Budapest. I miss my apartment and everything that came with it---the queen-sized bed that was oh-so comfortable, the massive desk, my study armchair, my kitchen, my own bathroom, the privacy of my own room... Not that it's not nice here---my roommate is really sweet and I love Oxford, but I miss BSM. I miss the people. I miss everyone coming over to our apartment to talk and eat and do math. I miss that community. Sigh. I'm going to head to bed now and fall asleep to Camera Obscura. Really. Check out the band. I think they're really great.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
:) I really like Camera Obscura too! Glad to know you are settled in at Oxford. Have fun!!
ReplyDeleteCaro