I've been doing maths all day. It's fantastic. I spent most of last night and most of today finishing up the remaining problem sheets I had for elliptic curves, which means that starting tomorrow, my tutor and I can go beyond the Oxford course and just do stuff! I'm really excited. I took a break in the middle of all the frantic LaTeX-ing of solutions to go meet with my representation theory tutor, and it was fantastic. Grothendieck groups, decomposition matrices, and oooh, what fun! :D I'm super excited.
On a less math-y note, this last weekend, the Stanford program took a trip to Canterbury and Dover. I took an oath not to do math while we were there, and almost made it through. I caved on the bus ride back, though, and read some lecture notes. Anyway. Pictures!
 |
| Palace at Hampton. |
 |
| Painted wall (that turned out to just be wallpaper) |
 |
Gazing up in awe at painted wall
(before finding out that it was just wallpaper) |
 |
| Rifles, swords, and other weapons of sorts = wall decor? |
 |
| In case it gets sunny inside. You know. |
 |
| Coolest trees ever. |
 |
| Going through the maze! |
 |
| Grossest looking tree I have ever seen. |
 |
| Fancy dinner setting. |
 |
| Yummy tomato and basil soup. |
 |
| Potatoes, peas, carrots, and hake. |
 |
| Chocolate mousse! |
 |
| Our hotel room. |
 |
Hotel room take 2. (This was right before we left,
so it's a bit messy...) |
 |
| Whitstable! Super pretty and super windy and super cold. |
 |
| Awesome yarn store in Whitstable. |
 |
| It's TEEMING with yarn!!! |
 |
| Yarnified bikes. :) |
 |
| Last meal of fried food I will ever eat. Ever. |
 |
| Dover castle! |
 |
| Gorgeous view. |
 |
| More gorgeous view. |
It was a pretty cool trip. We got to see a lot of different parts of England outside Oxford, and it was just generally nifty. It was a lot of bus-riding time, though, so I'm quite glad to not really have to do such long road trips from now on. Anyway. It was fun and relaxing. And it could not have been possible had it not been for the generous donation of the Bings! They, like, paid for everything. Amazing.
Anyway. Must go now. Orchestra rehearsal tonight, and then (surprise, surprise) more maths! Yayayayayay!
No comments:
Post a Comment