Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 192: The Mildly Perplexing Matter of the Body Proportions of the Average British Woman

My tutorial was cancelled today (which was sad because I had a lot of trouble focusing on work this morning and I was looking forward to a motivation boost), and so I decided to go on a hunt for shoes. After all, there are only eight days left until the OUPhil concert, which is the first of three orchestra concerts I'll be playing in over the next few weeks. Anyway. So I went to Primark, which has loads of super cheap shoes (sneakers for £2?!?!) and surprisingly, the options available in my size were quite limited. My size was the smallest available, and the upper limit of sizes was, like, five or six sizes above mine. Crazy. And then I thought back to that day when I bought jeans and remembered that when I was looking for my size, oftentimes my size was the largest size available or not available at all. So this is what I think: compared to the average Brit, I have absurdly large thighs and absurdly small feet. I never really thought of myself as oddly proportioned, but, well, here I am in Oxford, monster-thighed and Tinkerbell-footed.

Anyway... Behold! New shoes! They're high heels and all fancy-like. Oh, and price? £10.


But there's just one problem... I said they're heels, right? Well, they're TWO-INCH high heels. That's two inches too much. Being someone who wears Converse everywhere, whether it be to the library, to a park, or even to a date, heels are really out of my comfort zone of footwear. When I got back to my room, I asked my roommate to help me. She told me to just try walking, so I did. And she said: "You're waddling." And so I tried to stop. To compensate, I tried picking up my feet more. And then she said: "And now you look like you're trekking through mud." Oh gosh. I think I'm hopeless. Here is a picture of this heel that may be the end of me.


On a related note: The new jeans I bought the other day are fantastic. They're super comfy and everything and I love them. I'm going to give it another week or so, and if I'm still really gung-ho about them, I might buy another pair (perhaps in a different color/wash).

Now for a complete change of subject... I was uploading the pictures of the shoes to my computer and it turns out that there were other pictures I hadn't uploaded yet. There was one day when I went out running and it was so beautiful outside that I ran back to my room to get my camera. The pictures don't do the scenery justice at all, but trust me. It was beautiful. The sun was setting and there a few clouds in the sky and there was the river/stream along the path and everything.





I'm still feeling really lazy, and I'm not really sure why, so I think I'm going to just take it easy until dinner and then really crack down on work then. Oh wait... I have orchestra tonight. Hm. What to do, what to do. Maybe I'll do a bit of light reading. Or knit. Or maybe I'll just accept that today, I'm just not going to get that much done. So much for the resolution of trying to have (some fraction of) the productivity of Terence Tao.

No comments:

Post a Comment