Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 195: (Maths) vs. (Antenatal Care + Harry Potter + Age)

I'm thinking of locking myself in the library (where I have no access to internet, food, or any distractions of any sort) until I:
  • Read hundreds of essays on women and health (focus: antenatal care)
  • Write my sociology paper on women and health
  • Plan out my 45-minute talk on women and health
  • Edit my sociology paper on women in mathematics
From this list, you'd think I write sociology papers all day. There are, in fact, more things I need to do:
  • Learn about blocks
  • Learn about Schur algebras
  • Learn about elliptic curves
But the last three things are things I really want to do, so I'm going to ban myself from doing them. It'll be my reward for getting through the sociology stuff (which is actually really interesting, mind you, but I just really want to do maths...).

In other news, I have a dilemma... next Thursday, our junior dean is taking us on a Harry Potter tour. I love Harry Potter. I'm sure it will be absolutely brilliant. But. This is happening at 2:00pm. And at 2:30pm, there is a talk on block components of the lie module for the symmetric group (by Professor Roger Bryant), and how can I miss that?!?!?! And so I have a dilemma: Harry Potter vs. Representation Theory.

Man, there seems to be so much against maths... there's all this sociology that's eating away my time, and there's Harry Potter, and there's also my daily walking-on-heels practice sessions... I should get going and do all this stuff so I have time to learn math. But I might already be too old for that. Enter XKCD:


No comments:

Post a Comment